Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Question of the Day #1445

There are plenty of options to whet one's appetite, from plant-based collaborations with Impossible Foods to hearty classics like the Bacon, Sausage, & Egg Wrap.
From the 2nd paragraph of this article at Tasting Table.

  上記の文で、whet one's appetiteの意味は?
In the sentence above, what does "Whet one's appetite" mean?

  答えは、コメントに書いてください。
Write your answer in the Comments.

明日、ここに答えを書きます。
I will add the answer and other remarks here tomorrow.

 


 

解答

意味:
英辞郎によると、
(人)の興味をそそる
比喩としては、この意味ですが問題の文の場合、元に意味の「食欲」の意味で使っています。


 

Answer

According to The Free Dictionary:
To induce or increase one's interest in something.
 

Examples

  1. The first chapter of that novel really whetted my appetite—I'm eager to read more of it tonight.
  2. Seeing that film really whetted my sister's appetite for horror films.
  3. My appetite for theater was whetted when I was very young.
  4. Delicious smells from the kitchen whetted our appetites.
  5. That first Schubert piece whetted my appetite; I hope she sings some others.
   

このサイトが役に立つと思ったら、ぜひ英語に関心のある知り合いとシェアしてください。

No comments:

Post a Comment